Wednesday 8 October 2014

ROONEY NOT FOCUSING ON GOAL HISTORY FOR ENGLAND

England captain Wayne Rooney: Hoping to bolster his goals tally

Wayne Rooney is convinced he will become England's greatest ever goal scorer, but would quickly ditch the accolade if it meant he finally won some silverware with the national side.


Rooney looks set to join an elite group of players next month by winning his 100th cap.
Rooney also has another landmark in his sights - that of England's top scorer - an honour currently held by Sir Bobby Charlton.
Rooney has an opportunity to bridge the eight-goal gap that separates him from his hero on Thursday when he leads England out against San Marino at Wembley.
But the biggest concern Rooney has at the moment is not bettering Charlton's 49-goal England haul, it is the lack of success he has enjoyed with the national side.
Ever since he made his debut in 2003 Rooney has won absolutely nothing and he is desperate for that to change.
"It would be great if I could do it (become top scorer)," the England captain said
"I'd never have thought that when I came into this England team that I would be best goal scorer.
"It would be massive for me and make my family proud. I want to do it.
"But for a footballer, you're in this game for your team-mates and there's nothing better than getting a trophy."
With San Marino and Estonia next up for England, Rooney should be able to reach the 44-goal mark held by the man who is third in the list, Jimmy Greaves.
Although Rooney admits moving level with the former Tottenham great is possible, he will not let it weigh heavy on his mind as he leads England out on Thursday.
"I'm confident in myself and believe I will (do it), but the game (on Thursday) is more important than me scoring four or five goals," he added.
Rooney's selflessness has grown an immeasurable amount since the heady and often volatile days when he first played for England as a bustling teenager.
It was something of a surprise, therefore, to see the Manchester United captain kick out at Stewart Downing deep inside his own half two weeks ago.
Rooney denies the red card demonstrated that he was about to return to the bad days of old.
"I was disappointed with the red card," he added.
"But I have to accept it. It was a red card. I didn't try and hurt him. I just tried to stop their counter-attack and misjudged that.
"I've made errors in the past. I understand that. I've grown up in the last couple of years.
"The older you get, the wiser you get. You mature. I'm in a comfortable position now. I'm disappointed with the red card I got, but that's football. It does sometimes happen."
The Football Association handed Rooney a three-match ban for his foul on Downing, and his disappointment was clear when the television cameras panned to the glum-looking striker halfway through United's 2-1 win over his former club Everton on Sunday.
"It was disappointing - I was sat in a box with six kids!" Rooney said with a smile.
"It was disappointing not to be on the pitch, especially against Everton and given how tight the game was.
"It's always hard to watch and I was nervous in the last five or 10 minutes when they had a few chances."
England's upcoming double-header gives Rooney the chance to let off some steam. And even though the opposition is weak, he will not find it hard to motivate himself for the visit of San Marino.
"To get yourself up for a game at Wembley is quite easy," he said.
"We can win comfortably. We have to go out and do that."
San Marino are expected to park the bus at Wembley and use every trick in the book to curb England's attacks.
Theo Walcott lasted just 10 minutes before he had to come off the last time England played San Marino two years ago.
Goalkeeper Aldo Junior Simoncini took the Arsenal winger out with a dangerous high tackle in the 5-0 win at Wembley.
Rooney sees no point in holding back against Thursday's opponents though.
He said: "For me, personally, you can't go into a game thinking you've got to avoid tackles.
"That's how you get injured. We have to play the way we normally would and hopefully we avoid any bad challenge and injuries."

No comments:

Post a Comment